Wetheral is a pleasant village besides the River Eden, consisting of mainly large houses grouped around a spacious village green. Just south of the church is Wetheral Priory gatehouse, part of a Benedictine priory founded around 1100. A short distance from the priory are man-made caves constructed in the river bank. Forty feet above the River Eden, they were constructed by the monks as places of refuge during border warfare.
On the other side of the river stands Corby Castle, a late Georgian mansion. The castle has a 14th century pele tower built as a defence against the Border Reivers.
The renowned Wetheral railway viaduct crosses the River Eden. It was constructed by Francis Hiles between 1830 and 1834, stands 100 feet high and 600 feet long. It was one of the first railway viaducts to be built in this country and iss unusual having a public footpath alongside the railway track. Also known as Corby Bridge, it connects Wetheral and the village of Great Corby for walkers.
The station is at the western end of the viaduct from where you get a wonderful view of the River Eden and surrounding woodland.
The station is served by a small parking area. It is an unstaffed station, with a ticket vending machine on the eastbound platform.
Trains travel frequently from Wetheral to Carlisle and stations on the route to Newcastle. For up to date information also see: