Founded in 2004, our core aim is to promote, strengthen and protect the role of the Tyne Valley railway line between Newcastle-Hexham-Carlisle for residents, tourists, employees and service providers. Working closely in partnership with the train operating company, currently Northern, we provide the local ‘eyes and ears on the ground’.
In June 2019, we were the first community rail partnership in the North of England (and Northern franchise area) to be awarded accreditation by the Department for Transport, under their new scheme of accreditation, which replaces the former designation status.
The accreditation process undertaken by representatives of the DfT and the Association of Community Rail Partnerships (ACoRP) reviewed the work undertaken by us and policies and procedures adopted within the organisation. More information is available on ACoRP's website
- Increase public awareness of existing rail services and products;
- Promote existing rail travel opportunities;
- Raise awareness of rail / bus / bike / pedestrian / car interchange opportunities;
- Assess and record existing public perception of the rail line and knowledge of rail products;
- Improve information provision at stations and in local communities;
- Help identify and target new markets for rail travel and develop products to suit;
- Increase local community involvement in the rail line by building on the existing Station Adoption scheme;
- Strengthen links between the train operating company and the local communities and businesses it serves.
The Partnership Board and advisory group consists of representatives of local stakeholders including:
- Cumbria County Council
- Intu Metrocentre
- Northern (Arriva Rail North)
- Northumberland County Council
- Tyne Valley Rail Users Group (TVRUG)
We also have regular contact with local Parish Councils and Councillors along the length of the line, established links with local businesses, tourism organisations (including Northumberland National Park, Hadrian’s Wall Partnership and English Heritage) and other public transport providers.
The Partnership Board are always keen to hear from anyone interested in supporting the railway, in particular, those who could volunteering some time to help with our activities. Please contact The Company Secretary to find out more.