In 2016, the Partnership took the lease of the 1855 Haltwhistle Station Booking Hall, and refurbished the building as our education base room.
A key feature is its booking office wooden wall with all the furnishings for Edmondson ticket issue. These were the classic railway tickets which were invented on this line in the 1830’s. The original booking office clock was restored in 2017 by Diana Bell of Mr George’s Time Museum.
Haltwhistle station opened in 1838 and became a four way country junction. The line south to Alston penetrated the Pennines and, in part, has become the South Tynedale Railway. As a country junction, Haltwhistle has a remarkable set of railway structures.
We welcome enquiries from schools (see also our offer to education) and community groups who wish to use the Old Booking Hall. We now have reproduction Edmondson tickets in the ticket racks, which visiting schools can use as a role play and maths exercise. On the wall, we have six framed Ordnance Survey maps from the 1860’s to the present day. An accompanying teachers’ pack contains plenty of map based activities. Train company Northern support our work with schools and offer free travel for school groups taking up our education offer.
The room is also available for community groups to use for meetings or other activities.
To determine availability, costs, the resources available or to simply book the hall please contact Julie Gibbon.